Barley grass is the young leaf of the barley plant (Hordeum vulgare). Sometimes referred to as “barley leaves” or “barley green,” barley grass is abundant in chlorophyll and anti-oxidants (such as lutonarin and saponarin), and also consists of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), ferulic acid, vitamins, and minerals.
Barley grass is used as an ingredient at lots of juice bars. In addition, natural-food stores frequently sell bottled juice beverages containing barley grass juice. Some shops likewise offer sets that enable you to grow your own barley grass for juicing.
In Japan, green juices made with active ingredients like young barley grass juice are called “aojiru,” and are widely consumed to enhance health.2 Barley grass powder (a dehydrated type of barley grass extract), barley grass capsules, and barley grass tablets are sold in numerous natural-food stores and in stores concentrating on dietary supplements.
Barley Grass Nutrition Facts
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) supply 20 calories, 2g of protein, 2g of carbs, and 0g of fat. Barley juice is an exceptional source of vitamin A, iron, and magnesium. The following nutritional data is from the USDA.
- Calories: 20
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- vitamin A: 950IU
- iron: 1.1 mg
- magnesium: 25mg
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder contain 2 grams of carbs, none of which comes from fiber. There has to do with 1 gram of natural sugars in this serving size.
Barley grass juice powder is fat-free.
Barley grass juice powder has 2 grams of protein in a three-teaspoon serving.
Vitamins and Minerals
Barley grass juice powder is particularly high in vitamin A, with 20% of your daily advised consumption (based upon a 2,000 calorie diet plan) in only 3 teaspoons. It is also a great source of riboflavin, potassium, iron, and magnesium.
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) supply 20 calories, half of which come from carbs and the other half from protein. 1.
Barley grass is rich in amino acids, which are very important foundation for proteins in the body. The nine necessary amino acids barley grass supplies assists the body repair work muscles, blood vessels, and even bone marrow. (1 ).
Barley grass is likewise a great source of:
The vital amino acids in barley grass are total, making it one of the most nutrient-dense foods worldwide. The majority of plants do not supply all the important amino acids that the body needs. Barley grass can offer every amino acid, assisting individuals who eat plant-based diets to get the nutrition they need.
How to Prepare Barley Grass?
Barley grass is generally taken in as part of a juice, since the texture can be unpleasant to eat. You can grow your own barley grass and juice it yourself, or you can purchase barley grass extract as a powder. Barley grass juice can be discovered at juice bars, in natural food shops, and even in some bigger grocery stores around the country.
If you have an interest in including barley grass juice to your diet plan, think about the following alternatives:.
- Drink barley grass juice by itself
- Add barley grass juice to smoothies
- Include a tablespoon of barley grass powder in protein shakes
- Include barley grass juice to mixed drinks
- Usage barley grass juice in zucchini bread (2 )
9 Benefits of Barley Grass Juice
- It is an effective anti-oxidant: Antioxidants are good for your heart and they safeguard your body from all sort of extreme damage triggered when you are exposed to contamination, cigarette smoking, and particular chemicals.
- It is understood to boost the immune system: The body immune system resembles an anti-virus for our body. It detects antigens and helps the body to get resistance against them so that the next time when they enter our body, we don’t get ill from them.
- It cleanses the body by releasing extra water: Detoxing is the procedure of getting rid of damaging compounds from our body. Consumption of Barley Grass juice launches extra water making us fit and fine in no time!
- Treats Ulcerative Colitis: Consume Barley Grass Juice for a healthy gut. Ulcerative Colitis is a type of bowel illness which leads to the inflammation of your digestion tract. The disease frequently causes the development of ulcers affecting the inner-most layer of your big intestinal tract and rectum.
- Aids Weight-loss indirectly by increasing the metabolism: Metabolic process is generally the body’s speed of burning calories. Since Barley Grass Juice is abundant in anti-oxidants and helps in effective detoxification of the body, it aids indirectly and helps you to reduce weight. Barley Grass Juice assists in effective detoxing of the body.
- Promotes Bone Health: The health of the bones in our body is measured using a term called ‘Bone Mineral Density’. The higher this density, the better is the condition of our bones. Barley Grass Juice increases this density which makes it a must-have health drink.
- Enhances Skin Health: Barley Grass Juice provides your body the much required anti-oxidants which assist in driving away free-radical damage on our skin and hence, intake of it improves your skin health too.
- Minimizes Excess Level of acidity: Acidity takes place when your body produces more than what it needs in regards to acids to digest the food you consume. Consumption of Barley Grass Juice assists in canceling the acid content in your belly and eases the burning sensation therefore caused.
- It helps in cases of Hyperlipidemia: Hyperlipidemia is a condition brought on by high levels of cholesterol in your body. When additional fats accumulate in your blood that is when a person is stated to be struggling with this condition. Regular consumption of Barley Grass Juice helps in improving this condition. Overall, Barley Grass juice is one of the many health drinks you can opt for, as it consists of a lot of health benefits aimed at keeping you healthy and fit. You can grow the lawn in your garden and juice it when you feel like having a glass. Else, you can even buy it from the marketplace. Club this health beverage with a balanced diet and you won’t need anything else to remain in leading shape! (3 )
Additional Surprising Benefits Of Barley Grass
May Relieve Ulcerative Colitis
Barley grass is an important herb in treating ulcerative colitis attributing to its stimulating impact on gut-friendly bacteria. It has actually been found to assist in reducing inflammation and other associated symptoms linked in ulcerative colitis by decreasing the intriguing chemicals in the bowel. This nutrient-rich food may also assist in balancing the fluidity in the bowel and getting rid of built up toxins from the body.
May Boost Immunity
Barley grass might support increasing the immune defense mechanism of the body. Routine intake supplies the needed nutrition which is required for balancing the optimum production of immune cells in the body. A reliable and strong immune defense system vigilantly fights infections and avoids the advancement of chronic inflammatory diseases.
Might Have Anti-cancer Possible
Barley grass has actually been explore in numerous diets for chronic disease prevention. A study released in the Biomedical Journal in 2017 states that Korean scientists discovered that barley grass extract triggered apoptosis of breast and prostate cancer cells and may be useful for cancer treatment during therapeutic interventions. While these outcomes are appealing, its anti-cancer residential or commercial properties have yet to be completely explored.
May Protect versus UV Radiation
Another helpful result of barley grass is its potentially protective action versus the cell destructing impacts of UV radiation. It extends a restorative relief on the existing damaged cell owing to the existence of superoxide dismutase enzymes.
It might also act defensively versus the results of radioactivity; some attribute this to the presence of chlorophyll content, which might improve the resistance to radioactivity and also motivates the production of new members cells. For this reason, it is generally recommended to consume barley grass juice pre and post-exposure to x-rays to offer extra defense (together with appropriate individual protective gear) versus the radioactive damage.
May Battle Addiction
Barley grass is likewise thought about a natural home remedy for combating different type of dependencies. The existence of glutamic acid in it is stated to inhibit the yearning for alcohol, coffee, nicotine, drugs, and even sweet sweets. Nevertheless, for those with a harmful addiction, it is best to look for medical attention in combination with this house therapy.
Might Reduce Indications of Aging
Barley grass is considered a natural method to stimulate the regeneration of cells without any adverse effects– and lower signs of aging. Vital parts such as chlorophyll, vitamin B, iron, and phycocyanin, a blue pigment in barley grass, enhance the bone marrow and support the development of white and red blood cells. This restoring impact of barley grass also helps reduce the signs of aging by renewing the aging cells and helping to preserve healthy and youthful skin.
Barley grass is utilized worldwide in soups and stews, and for making barley bread. Barley is also used in the production of malted items, such as malted milk, red wine, and beer.
Apart from an outstanding variety of usage for humans, barley grass is also utilized to make hay and fodder for animals.
Word of Care: Although barley grass is normally safe, some individuals might react sensitively to the barley grain with symptoms including throwing up, itching, and burning sensation in the throat and mouth. Those people must avoid the use of barley grass or discuss it with a medical expert to much better comprehend if this is allergy-related.
Gluten in Grains
While pure barley grass, without any grains, contains no gluten at all, individuals experiencing celiac disease should generally prevent the usage of barley products made from the grain as they might contain gluten protein. Celiac disease disrupts the absorption of vital nutrients in the body and might lead to serious problems associated with the brain, liver, and the nervous system.
Natural caution prior to trying barley grass for the very first time is constantly suggested especially when the sensitivity is not known. During unique conditions such as pregnancy and lactation, it is advised to seek advice from a specialist to comprehend the suitable dosage and effects of barley grass to avoid any problems. (4 ).
Barley and your hair
Healthy hair is a part of a healthy body. The shortage of nutrients or an extended illness can negatively impact your hair. Barley contains all the essential nutrients, consisting of proteins, carbohydrates, dietary fiber as well as vitamins and anti-oxidants, that are necessary for hair health and uses the following hair care benefits.
1. Brings Back Hair Colour:
The usage of green barley grass helps in restoring your hair color. Furthermore, barley includes the mineral copper that is involved in the development of melanin, a pigment which provides color to your hair.
2. Promotes Hair Development:
Barley is abundant in the micronutrients, thiamin and niacin, that help in hair growth. It likewise contains Procyanidin B-3, which is separated from barley and determined as a hair growth stimulant.
3. Combats Hair Loss:
Anemia is among the most typical reasons for hair loss. Barley includes the minerals iron and copper, which boost the production of red blood cells, thus warding off anemia and, as a result, promoting hair development. (5 ).
How To Grow Barley Grass Indoors For Juicing
Growing barley grass in your home is as simple and affordable as growing wheat grass, and some individuals discover they choose the taste of barley grass juice to wheat turf juice, for its milder flavor. Barley sprouts and the juice you can make are a natural anti-oxidant as well as a natural metabolic process booster. Follow the steps below to begin growing your own barley grass at home and make homemade barley grass juice!
TYPES OF BARLEY GRASS
There are numerous kinds of barley grass and there are different methods to classify each type. The very best way to differentiate barley grass types is to count the grains when the grass is fully grown. Each type has a different number of grains. The various types do not alter the structure of the turf itself, so the kind of barley grass you choose has little impact on the last juice.
MATERIALS FOR GROWING BARLEY GRASS
- Container or bowl for soaking
- 1 cup Barley Seeds
- 10×10-inch Tidy growing tray, with holes for draining pipes:
- Plastic food tray from deli, completely cleaned
- Growing tray from garden supply shop
- Decorative planter (for growing ornamental grass)
- Soil improved with fertilizer, compost, or azomite, if required
- Plastic cover with air shaft or additional tray to use as tray cover
HOW TO MEASURE BARLEY SEEDS FOR YOUR TRAY SIZE
1 cup of barley seeds ( 1/2 lb) suffices for a 10×10-inch tray and grows enough turf to make about 10 ounces of barley grass juice. If your tray is a different size, change the amount of seeds appropriately.
DIRECTIONS FOR GROWING BARLEY GRASS
Follow instructions for Sprouting Barley and grow just till tails start to show. Prevent over-sprouting or sprouts may not root in the soil for growing barley grass.
- Include a 1/2- to 1-inch layer of soil to growing tray.
- Water gently to dampen soil. Prevent overwatering to the point puddles form.
- Sprinkle seeds equally throughout soil, separating clumps as required.
- Sprinkle loose soil over seeds.
- Location tray in a location with indirect light, at 60-80ºf.
- Cover with a plastic lid with air shaft to create a greenhouse effect. Ensure cover is tall enough to enable turf to grow 1-2 inches.
- Water daily, prevent overwatering. Utilizing a spray bottle is a great watering approach until seeds root and grass begins to grow.
- After grass is 1-2 inches, eliminate cover, about day 4.
- Continue to water daily, gently to avoid destructive young turf.
COLLECTING BARLEY GRASS FOR JUICING
- Harvest turf at any point, generally about 6 inches tall, for juicing.
- Use scissors to cut grass just above roots.
- Juice instantly.
- If preferred, let the yard grow a second blade, for a second harvest. Nutritional material of lawn from the second harvest is much lower than turf from the first harvest. (6 )
11 Severe Side Effects Of Barley Water
1. Flatus/ Digestive Gas
Barley is an excellent source of dietary fiber. This might cause intestinal tract gas or flatus. The factor behind it is the activities of the helpful bacteria present in our colon. So, attempt to limit your barley water intake to prevent gas development.
Extreme consumption of barley water may disturb the stomach. Barley water can also connect with certain medications causing indigestion. In both cases, the stomach inflammation can come with small to major signs like pain, cramps, bloating, and often even loose bowels or diarrhea and worsen other IBS symptoms.
If you consume too much barley water, the opportunities are that you will wind up developing persistent constipation. Make sure that you consult your physician in case the problem continues for more than 7 days at a time.
4. Rectal Bleeding
In serious case of constipation, you might experience rectal bleeding with sharp pain. Try to prevent consuming this natural laxative in bulk amount to avoid such circumstances.
5. Fungal Contamination
It has been reported that barley water can lead to fungal contamination from time to time. Certain pollutants discovered in the malt extract are Trichothecium Roseum and Ochratoxin A. These toxins can take a toll on our bones by breaking them down.
6. Allergic Reactions
Allergic reactions to barley water are likewise rather typical. If you already suffer from hypersensitivity or allergic reaction in the current past, it is time to control your everyday usage of barley water. Or else, you might experience a variety of signs like rashes, swelling, hives, inflammation as well as swelling of eyes, eyelids, nose, arms, legs, and even anaphylaxis.
7. Bakers’ Asthma
The grain of barley can cause a severe respiratory allergy called ‘bakers’ asthma’. People operating in bakeries are prone to this condition. However you can also fall prey to it if you are exposed to great deals of barley flour while preparing your barley water. So, beware.
8. Obstructed/ Ruptured Esophagus
Being filled with fiber, barley can hurt your esophagus too. Whenever preparing your beverage, make certain that you add sufficient water to the extract of the malt. Otherwise, you might face trouble in swallowing, which can ultimately block and even burst your esophagus.
9. Celiac Illness
Celiac disease is essentially wheat allergic reaction, which is triggered due to gluten intolerance. Barley consists of a substantial amount of gluten, thereby making the condition even worse.
10. Lowered Blood Sugar
Overconsumption of barley water can lower the quantity of sugar in your blood stream. If it goes under the regular level, you will develop hypoglycemia. So, try to keep a close eye on your blood glucose level while drinking barley water regularly.
11. Surgical Problems
As barley water can cause a sudden fall in your blood sugar levels, you need to constantly take preventative measures prior to undergoing surgery. It is suggested that you stop having the drink at least 10 to 2 week before going under the knife. It might help you control your blood sugar level so that you can keep all sorts of surgical complications at bay. (7 ).
What is the recommended dosage?
A dosage of 15 g/day dried barley leaf extract has actually been used to lower cholesterol.
Contraindications have not yet been identified.
Info concerning safety and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking. (8 ).
Special Measures & Warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Barley is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth during pregnancy in quantities commonly discovered in foods. However, barley sprouts are POSSIBLY UNSAFE and ought to not be consumed in high quantities during pregnancy.
There is inadequate trustworthy details about the safety of taking barley if you are breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Celiac illness or gluten level of sensitivity: The gluten in barley can make celiac disease even worse. Avoid utilizing barley.
Allergies to cereal grains: Consuming barley may trigger an allergic reaction in individuals who are sensitive to other cereal grains, including rye, wheat, oat, corn and rice.
Diabetes: Barley might reduce blood sugar levels. Your diabetes medications might require to be changed by your healthcare provider.
Surgery: Barley may reduce blood sugar levels. There is a concern that it might interfere with blood sugar control throughout and after surgery. Stop using barley a minimum of 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery. (9 ).
Barley grass may often be rich in vitamin K, which hinders the action of anticoagulants such as Coumadin (the brand for warfarin, a drug used to deal with and prevent embolism ). Other than an allergy, there are no recognized adverse impacts attributed to barley grass. (10 ).