Table of Contents
The fragrant capsular fruit of an Indian herb (Elettaria cardamomum) of the ginger household with seeds used as a spice or dressing and in medication. 
Cardamom is an herb. The seeds are utilized to make medication.
Cardamom is utilized for food digestion issues consisting of heartburn, digestive tract spasms, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), digestive tract gas, constipation, liver and gallbladder grievances, and loss of appetite. It is likewise utilized for cold, cough, bronchitis, aching mouth and throat, and propensity toward infection. Some people utilize cardamom as a stimulant and for urinary issues.
In foods, cardamom is utilized as a spice in many parts of the world.
How does it work?
Cardamom contains chemicals that appear to treat stomach and digestive spasms and gas, and increase the motion of food through the intestinal tract. 
History of Cardamom – The queen of spices
Cardamom is understood to be one of the earliest spice understood in the history of Mankind. A wild plant initially discovered in the Western Ghats of South West India. It comes under the family of ginger and process various medical worths. It was a native produce of the forest and was considered as a natural wild plant, which was harvested by the tribal community during their commute through the jungle for food. It was sun-dried and traded villagers for fabric and salt. The villagers near to the forests bought it to merchants who took it to the port and traded to a maritime sailor who got to various ports on the Malabar coast. It was from here that it reached various civilization that existed during various eras in the history of mankind. A few of the known trade routes from the hills to the ports were.
Numerous think that cardamom was a crop that showed up the Indian mainland from other parts of the world, much like how rubber and vanilla arrived in the subcontinent. Nevertheless, the fact remains that cardamom is quite belonging to the high series of the Western Ghats which is among the leading biospheres locations in the world. Numerous historical books have mentioned about cardamom from the upper series of the modern South India. Chanakya composed Arthashatra, the counselor of Chandragupta Maurya written in 4th century BC has discussed clearly cardamom as “A green pearl found in the banks of the river Periyar in the South West mountains” they utilized to call is “Chaurnayam.” Amarakosha – a vocabulary of Sanskrit roots composed by “Amarasimha,” a Buddhist who lived during the 8th century AD, has discussed different names of cardamom. There has been mention of cardamom used as a medicinal ingredient in numerous Ayurveda books given that 1000 BC. Cardamom is locally called “Elam” or “Ellakka,” it dates back to the Dravidian roots where it was called “El” later on due to the influence of the Sanskrit language, over the years it ended up being “Ela” (Ae-la). The word Ela was taken in into other South Indian languages as “Yela Kulu” in Telugu, “Ellaki” in Kanada and “Ellakkai” in Tamil. The scientific name of green cardamom – “Elettaria Cardamom” was derived with a combination of “Ela” and “Kardamum” – the Greek word.
Making uses of cardamom have actually been taped considering that the Pyramid age of Egypt and have actually pointed out in numerous historic books. The Egyptians utilized it as a medical active ingredient, a mouth freshener and even as a prime component for the preparation of oils that were applied to the mummification process. Some accounts state the mentioning of aromatic oils in the Bible is considered to be prepared with the base as cardamom. Cardamom reached the Romans and the Greek via Arabia. Amomum and Kardamum describe the cardamom that originated from the southern Hills of the modern India. Kardamum has been mentioned in the works of Plutarch and Hippocrates – who is thought about to be the father of modern medication. Pedanius Dioscorides, the Greek doctor who lived throughout advertisement 40 to 90, composed a series of books named materia medica, in which the medicinal qualities of cardamom are extremely well elaborated. Traders from Babylonians, Mesopotamians, and Assyrian had fantastic maritime trade relations with the Malabar coast where cardamom trade was extremely prominent during various phases of ancient company. Babylonians utilized cardamom for their spiritual events. Cardamom tea and coffee were exotic preparations during fantastic Arab feasts. Cardamom was a product that numerous kings used as an offering to other kings during their political gos to.
Cardamom was thought about to be a valuable green gem for lots of civilizations, mostly due to its deficiency and its original medical and aromatic worths which were discovered given that ancient times. The problems to reach it far and vast lands made it more precious. 
Nutritional value of cardamom
Cardamom consists of several minerals and vitamins, along with some fiber. It is likewise extremely low in carbohydrates and calories.
According to the Department of Farming, one tablespoon of ground cardamom contains the following nutrients:.
- calories: 18
- total fat: 0.4 grams (g)
- carbohydrates: 4.0 g
- fiber: 1.6 g
- protein: 0.6 g
It likewise includes the following quantities of vitamins and minerals:.
- potassium: 64.9 milligrams (mg)
- calcium: 22.2 mg
- iron: 0.81 mg
- magnesium: 13.3 mg
- phosphorus: 10.3 mg 
What Are The Health Advantages Of Cardamom?
Cardamom helps improve digestion health and prevents certain severe disorders like cancer. It likewise helps in diabetes treatment and helps you handle depression. You can consist of cardamom in your diet plan as you normally do or even take cardamom milk (also called elaichi milk) to avail the fascinating benefits.
1. Improves Digestive Health
According to an Indian research study, cardamom can be utilized in foods not just for flavor, but also for enhancing food digestion. The spice also stimulates metabolic process, provided its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory homes.
Cardamom is likewise known to stimulate the secretion of bile acid in the stomach, more assisting in food digestion and proper fat metabolic process. The spice also prevents other gastrointestinal conditions like acid reflux, heartburn, diarrhea, and so on 2. Promotes Heart Health
Its antioxidant residential or commercial properties can promote heart health. Cardamom likewise consists of fiber, the nutrient that can help lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
The spice also can lower high blood pressure levels– and this benefits the heart. Merely have a mixture of a teaspoon of coriander and a pinch of cardamom in addition to a cup of freshly squeezed peach juice.
Black cardamom seems to work better than its green cousin when it comes to heart health. One research study carried out on patients with ischemic heart disease had their plasma lipid profiles and antioxidant status and fibrinolytic activity (a procedure that avoids embolism from growing and triggering issues) improving post the consumption of black cardamom.
According to a report by the Harvard Medical School, cardamom is among the ingredients heart specialists normally include in their suppers.
3. Help In Cancer Avoidance
Cardamom has shown its prospective as a natural cancer treatment. Numerous animal studies have actually shown that the spice can be utilized to prevent, delay, and even reverse cancer development.
As per one Saudi Arabian study, administration of cardamom powder had decreased the incident of tumors. Cardamom also decreases basic inflammation, which inhibits the development of cancer cells and encourages their death. Another Saudi Arabian study states that cardamom has the possible to treat forestomach cancer.
The spice had actually also shown preferable impacts on chemically caused colorectal cancer in mice.
4. Has Diuretic Properties
Cardamom has diuretic homes that can benefit cases of hypertension, heart failure, and epilepsy. These diuretic homes of cardamom likewise help in detoxing.
5. Helps Battle Anxiety
According to a health report, cardamom can certainly help individuals handle anxiety. Simply powder a few seeds of cardamom and boil them in water in addition to your daily tea. Take the tea routinely for much better results.
6. Fights Asthma
Cardamom contributes in fighting asthma symptoms like wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and tightness in the chest. The spice makes breathing much easier by boosting blood circulation within the lungs. It likewise fights related swelling by relaxing the mucus membranes.
Another report states that green cardamom can be used to deal with asthma, bronchitis, and many other respiratory problems.
7. Help In Diabetes Treatment
Cardamom is exceptionally abundant in manganese– a mineral that can reduce the threat of diabetes. Nevertheless, a lot more research study is required in this aspect.
8. Enhances Oral Health
Cardamom possesses antimicrobial residential or commercial properties that improve oral health. Cardamom can secure against oral pathogens like Streptococci mutans. The pungent taste of cardamom even promotes the salivary flow– and this can help prevent cavities.
Cardamom can also work well in dealing with foul breath. Particularly when you take a mixture of spices, including the seeds of anise, cardamom, and fennel– bad breath would not be an issue anymore.
9. Improves Cravings
One Polish research study stresses on using cardamom for treating an absence of cravings. Even cardamom oil can be utilized as a cravings stimulant.
Cardamom can also assist in the treatment of histoplasmosis– a condition in which among the signs is an absence of appetite.
10. Lowers High Blood Pressure Levels
According to an Indian study, cardamom efficiently decreases blood pressure. You can simply consist of cardamom in your soups and stews and even baked products to keep your blood pressure levels in check.
11. Improves Sexual Health
Cardamom is a tested aphrodisiac. The spice is rich in a substance called cineole, and just a little pinch of cardamom powder can launch nerve stimulants and fuel your enthusiasms.
Some reports say that cardamom can also deal with impotence. More research study is required.
12. Can Deal With Missteps
Cardamom has muscle-relaxing properties, and these can help eliminate missteps. All you need to do is include a teaspoon of cardamom powder to warm water. Let it steep for about 15 minutes. Stress and take in gradually.
13. Assists Treat Sore Throat
A mixture of cardamom, cinnamon, and black pepper can work marvels for dealing with an aching throat. While cardamom soothes the aching throat and lowers inflammation, cinnamon uses anti-bacterial protection. And black pepper improves the bioavailability of the two components. You can take 1 gram each of cardamom and cinnamon powders, 125 mg of black pepper, together with 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix all active ingredients and lick the mix thrice a day.
Cardamom likewise has actually been discovered to minimize nausea and prevent vomiting. In one research study, guinea pig who were given cardamom powder showed less frequency and period of queasiness and less frequency of throwing up.
14. Prevents Blood Clots
According to the Central Food Technological Research Institute in India, cardamom includes numerous parts that relieve embolism. But yes, sufficient research is doing not have in this element.
What Are The Benefits For The Skin?
The skin advantages of cardamom can be credited to its anti-bacterial and antioxidant homes. The spice helps deal with skin allergic reactions and improves skin complexion. It can likewise be used as a tool to clean the skin.
15. Improves Skin tone
Among the benefits of cardamom is that it can give you fair skin. Cardamom important oil helps in getting rid of imperfections, therefore providing you a fairer skin tone.
You can either buy skin care items containing cardamom or its vital oil. Or you can just blend cardamom powder with honey and apply it as a face mask.
16. Enhances Blood Circulation
Cardamom consists of vitamin C, which is an effective anti-oxidant. It enhances blood circulation throughout the body. Also, the many layers of phytonutrients in the spice can improve blood circulation– which usually enhances skin health.
17. Deals With Skin Allergies
Cardamom, particularly the black variety, has antibacterial properties. Applying a cardamom and honey mask (a mixture of cardamom powder and honey) to the afflicted area can provide relief.
18. Imparts Scent
Cardamom is frequently utilized in cosmetics to impart scent. Due to its unique spicy, sweet aroma, both cardamom and cardamom oil are utilized in fragrances, soaps, body washes, powders, and other cosmetics. Asian style perfumes and other scented items typically utilize cardamom as an active ingredient in addition to other essential oils.
19. Uses Healing Benefits To The Skin
Cardamom can be utilized in skin care products for antiseptic and anti-inflammatory purposes to relax and relieve the skin, thanks to its therapeutic impacts. When contributed to perfumes, it can stimulate the senses. Facial soaps use cardamom to impart a warming sensation to the skin. These cosmetics using cardamom for healing factors are referred to as aromatherapy products.
20. Works As A Terrific Masking Representative
The strong aroma of cardamom can ward off unpleasant odors. This makes it a terrific addition to cosmetic products, such as toners, that serve a particular function but smell unappealing due to the inclusion of specific components. Cardamom is contributed to these items to mask the unpleasant fragrance while retaining the advantage of the cosmetic.
21. Offers Lip Care
Cardamom important oil is typically added to cosmetics that are applied to the lips (such as lip balms) to impart the taste of the oil and make the lips smooth.
You can just apply the oil to your skin before you go to sleep and clean it off in the morning.
22. Assists You Attain Clear Skin
Black cardamom helps in eliminating the toxic substances that might otherwise harm your skin. Chewing some black cardamom cleanses your body, thus providing you with clearer skin.
What About The Advantages For Hair?
Cardamom can contribute to improved hair development and the treatment of certain scalp concerns.
23. Nourishes Your Scalp
The antioxidant homes of cardamom, and especially the black type, nurture your scalp and enhance its health. The spice also nurtures the hair roots and improves hair strength. You can clean your hair with cardamom water (mix the powder with water and use prior to shampoo) to attain the wanted outcomes.
The antibacterial properties of the spice even treat scalp infections, if any.
24. Enhances Hair Health
This is a given. Improved scalp health usually means stronger and good-looking hair. The spice reinforces your hair roots and provides shine and luster to your hair.
These were the benefits. A basic spice can transform your health, offered you take it regularly. And now, we have an important question to attend to– what is the distinction in between cardamom and coriander? Firstly, why should we care about such a comparison?
Cardamom Vs. Coriander– What’s With The Contrast?
The two are spices with comparable advantages (which is why we are interested in this comparison). Like, state, the two are used to deal with high blood glucose, high blood pressure, and other digestion concerns. Likewise, cardamom and coriander are two of the five digestion spices mentioned in Ayurveda. The other three are cumin, ginger, and fennel.
But there are a couple of aspects on which the two spices differ.
|Made from the seed pods of plants in the ginger family||Comes from the seeds of the cilantro plant|
|Is considered a warming spice||Is thought about a cooling spice|
|Is native to Southern Asia and India||Is native to the Mediterranean and parts of Southern Europe|
|Guatemala is the largest producer as of today||India is the biggest manufacturer since today|
|Utilized as a solution for halitosis and asthma||Utilized to prevent gastrointestinal disorder|
25 Ways to Use Cardamom
Using spices like cardamom really assists me believe outside the box and have fun with brand-new flavors and cuisines that I typically do not cook. Cardamom is a staple in Indian and Middle Eastern foods (try it as a flavoring for coffee or in some mulled white wine) and also plays a big part in Swedish cooking, which appears odd up until you discover that it was brought back from what is now Turkey to Scandinavia by Viking explorers. Cardamom was utilized as a breath freshener by the ancient Egyptians and a gastrointestinal help in traditional Indian medication, but most importantly, it’s tasty– warm and sweet in a manner that sets well with many savory dishes (think poultry, curries and all type of rice meals) and is particularly fantastic as we head into the crisp days of fall. If you’re utilizing the whole pods, carefully toast them in a dry pan over medium heat till they start smelling fragrant. From there you can utilize whole or toss in a spice mill. Cardamom is one of the world’s most expensive spices, second only to saffron. A little bit of this pungent spice packs a punch though, so do not fret about having to utilize your entire stock in one dish. Integrate cardamom into your weekly regular with these 25 dishes:
- Your next weekend cooking job has arrived: Pistachio-Crusted Chinook Salmon with Ginger-Cardamom Yogurt Sauce, Glazed Beets and Grilled Summertime Squash. Although this dish consists of several pieces, none are overwhelmingly complicated.
- Aarti Sequeira rehydrates dates in brandy for her Date, Pistachio and Cardamom Cake (pictured above), adding a bit of bite to contrast the sticky sweetness of the dates.
- Simply when you think creme brulee can’t be improved upon, in comes Banana and Cardamom Creme Brulee.
- Southmoreland Plum Kabobs with Cardamom Sugar Rub might simply be the most convenient (and most tasty) dessert you will ever make. Sprinkle plum kabobs with cardamom sugar rub, then grill and consume!
- Make easy Cardamom-Orange French Toast for a weekend reward. Aida Mollenkamp utilizes French batard bread, which is similar to a baguette, however a little shorter and squatter (like a squished football). If you can’t find any batard, replacement brioche and even ciabatta.
- Roasted Pears with Cardamom Granola and Vanilla Ice Cream is an easy dessert, but replacement vanilla yogurt for ice cream and you have actually got yourself an expensive breakfast for a crowd.
- Subtly sweet Meyer Lemon Cardamom Crinkle Cookies might just become your go-to cookie recipe. A cross in between the common lemon and a Mandarin orange, Meyer lemons are somewhat sweeter than their traditional equivalents.
- Cardamom is a terrific infuser for alcohol. Include it to your mulling spices for mulled red wine, or try it in an Orange Cardamom Bellini. If you wish to get your molecular gastronomy on, try Nadia’s Cardamom Blood Orange Mojitos with Sugary Food Basil Caviar (or just muddle some basil and stop). Thai basil is a sweeter and spicier range of basil with purple stems (and in some cases leaves). You can often find Thai basil at Asian markets, however if unavailable, sweet basil will be a near-perfect sub.
- Aarti Sequeira pairs chicken with orange and cardamom in 2 traditional dinners: I Ain’t Chicken Chicken: Crispy Roasted Chicken Breasts with Orange and Cardamom and Roasted Chicken Breasts with Orange, Cardamom and Turmeric.
- Cardamom-Stewed Chickpea and Tomato Ragout is a terrific vegetarian side dish for Meatless Monday, particularly coupled with something significant like grilled eggplant steaks.
- If I still haven’t encouraged you that lamb is worthy of a shot, attempt Roger Mooking’s Cardamom Marinated Lamb Chops with Pear Chutney, Cilantro Cous and Tomato Yogurt Salad.
- Move over cupcakes; rice pudding is the brand-new “it” dessert. Participate this delicious trend with some hot varieties: Tres Leches Rice Pudding, Vanilla Rice Pudding with Glazed Oranges, Orange-Cardamom Madeleines and Orange Sabayon, Immediate Rice Pudding with Cinnamon, Cardamom and Blueberries and Rice Pudding with Green Tea Apple Sorbet and Chili Pineapple.
- Cardamom Vanilla Bean Ice Cream simply screams autumn and asks to be coupled with Pumpkin Pie Pinwheel Cookies.
- Deep Dish Cheese Pie is a sweet, spicy cheese pie made with farmer cheese, which resembles (and can be substituted by) cream cheese. It’s truly a variation of cottage cheese, simply pressed and strained even more.
- Get the last of the summertime stone fruits and make this Apricot Jam Recipe with Noyaux, Spices and Bourbon. The noyaux is the little seed within an apricot pit; involved cheesecloth with spices like peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves, the noyaux adds great deals of taste to your jam.
- So you’ve just gone apple selecting and now have the urge to bake apples in everything? Do it with Apple Crumble with Cardamom-Vanilla Caramel Sauce.
- Jamie Oliver includes great deals of Swedish flavors, like cardamom, into his brioche-like Attractive Swedish Buns, which are then both filled and topped with mashed blueberries.
- Grill up an exotic supper like Thai Marinated Grilled Chicken Skewers with a peanut coconut sauce that the whole family will take pleasure in. Marinade the chicken overnight for tons of flavor and a no-prep supper.
- Gulab Jaman is a fried Indian dessert made with ghee (a type of clarified butter) and taken in a sweet spiced syrup.
- Moroccan-Style Fruitcake with Apricots, Dates and Figs makes use of phyllo dough instead of standard pie crust. Constantly top defrosted phyllo dough with wet paper towels when not in use to avoid drying it out.
- The Fabulous Beekman Boys’ Pineapple-Glazed Shrimp is tossed in a combination of garam masala, coriander, salt, sugar and cumin prior to heading to the grill. Garam masala is an Indian spice blend that differs in composition, but is usually comprised of warm sweet and hot spices like cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper.
- Nigella Lawson’s Cornbread Topped Chile con Carne utilizes numerous warm Middle Eastern spices to change up a game-day classic.
- As we’ve currently developed, cardamom is a popular spice in Swedish food, so it needs to be not a surprise that a person of the most iconic Swedish meals, meatballs, includes the spice: Swedish Cardamom Meatballs.
- Michael Chiarello’s easy dessert, Zinful (Sinless) Poached Peaches with Cardamom Yogurt, sweetens up Greek yogurt with cardamom for a healthy indulgence.
- Cardamom coffee is a staple in Middle Eastern foods. Take it to the next level with a Cardamom Coffee and Cream Granita. 
9 Surprising Cardamom Adverse Effects for Females
Cardamom Side Impacts
The primary interest in using cardamom is that there is not enough details about its safety when utilized in amounts higher than those utilized for cooking functions. Cardamom can be taken orally as an extract or powder when used at these doses. It should be prevented in pregnant ladies due to the lack of recognized effects during pregnancy.
Cardamom has likewise been used straight to the skin. There is inadequate reliable details about the security of using it on the skin at doses greater than those discovered in foods.
Side effects in ladies include inflammation and inflammation if applied directly to the skin and diarrhea if taken by mouth.
Extreme intake of cardamom can result in diarrhea and dehydration. According to the book “Recovery Spices: How to Use 50 Every Day and Unique Spices to Increase Health and Beat Disease,” taking in large quantities of cardamom might produce flatulence-inducing impacts. Take 2 grams of cardamom in pill kind every day to get its benefits without having to worry about negative effects.
The U.S. National Institutes of Health reports that queasiness is one of the possible negative effects of taking in high amounts of cardamom. Queasiness typically takes place when a specific takes in more than 1 gram each day of the spice. Make sure to follow your medical professional’s guidelines if you are taking cardamom as a supplement so you do not surpass this amount.
According to the NIH, excessive cardamom can also cause dizziness. Cardamom is a spice that may have an impact on your health and wellness, with potential advantages such as enhancing your digestion. But these benefits come with side effects when consumed in high dosages. The caffeine in cardamom might likewise end up being bothersome if you consume excessive of the spice and are sensitive to caffeine. Possible adverse effects of taking in big amounts of cardamom include headaches, dizziness, sleeping disorders, and throwing up.
4. Menstrual Cramps
Cardamom is utilized to deal with a variety of digestion concerns, consisting of stomach convulsions. However, the exact same homes in cardamom that assist alleviate one type of stomach convulsion can intensify another type. If you experience unpleasant menstrual cramps, cardamom might increase the intensity of your cramps. Increase the amount of water you consume throughout your period to prevent dehydration and minimize the seriousness of your menstrual cramps.
Consuming enough water is crucial to maintaining great general health and preventing dehydration. If consumed in big quantities, cardamom can have a moderate diuretic impact, causing you to urinate more regularly than typical. Cardamom dehydration can happen if you don’t consume more water while consuming cardamom-flavored foods or taking cardamom supplements, so make sure you drink more water.
Pregnant women ought to avoid cardamom because it may stimulate the uterus, triggering miscarriages or early labor. Cardamom supplements also increase stomach acid levels and heartburn, which some pregnant ladies currently experience without including herbs that make these symptoms worse.
7. Blood Thinning
Cardamom may increase the danger of bleeding in people who take anticoagulant medications since it appears to have blood-thinning residential or commercial properties, according to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Examples of anticoagulants include warfarin, clopidogrel, and aspirin. If you take among these medications, do not utilize cardamom without first consulting your doctor.
Cardamom might increase insulin levels and lower blood sugar level levels in people with diabetes. According to an article released in “Food Chemistry” in April 2007, “hypoglycemia” can cause hypoglycemia in some individuals. If you have diabetes and take medication that decreases blood glucose levels, do not utilize cardamom without first consulting your physician, as it might cause a harmful drop in your blood sugar level level.
9. Surgical treatment
Cardamom might affect blood sugar levels and could interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgical treatment. Cardamom might decrease the main nerve system. There is issue that it may trigger general anesthesia to work less well. Stop using cardamom at least 2 weeks before a set up surgery.
Cardamom is a spice that has a very strong fragrance and a sweet taste. It can be used to taste curries, drinks, and desserts. Cardamom is available in 2 forms– as pods or ground. The pods contain small brown seeds that are utilized in cooking, however the entire pods can also be utilized to add flavor to hot beverages such as masala chai. Ground cardamom is often added to baked goods such as cakes and cookies, or it can be sprinkled on oatmeal or rice pudding.
There is currently no recommended everyday allowance (RDA) for cardamom since there have actually not been enough research studies performed on people to develop a suitable intake level. Nevertheless, the advised everyday intake of cardamom is around 1 to 3 grams, or between 1/4 and 3/4 teaspoon.
If you’re concerned about any of the possible adverse effects or interactions of cardamom, speak to your medical professional before including the spice to your diet plan.
What Is The Substitute For Cardamom?
Cardamom has an extremely unique taste that is hard to miss out on. Just a percentage of the spice includes an extreme taste to tasty dishes and desserts. If you do not have any on hand, there are much better alternatives than others.
Green Cardamom or Black Cardamom?
The two main kinds of cardamom are green and black, which are used in different recipes. As a substitute for either, you can use the other kind of cardamom, however the outcome will be different. When utilizing either one in place of the other, usage half as much as the dish calls for.
You can likewise replace green cardamom with equal amounts of cinnamon or allspice. Both will provide you similar tastes, if not similar ones. If your recipe utilizes both ground and entire black cardamom pods, use one teaspoon of cinnamon for every pod that is required in the recipe. Allspice will work better in sweeter recipes, particularly baked goods and puddings, but it can also be used in place of green cardamom in tasty dishes like curries.
If you’re out of cardamom and require to make an alternative right away, mix together 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. 
Unique Precautions and Warnings
- When taken by mouth: Cardamom is LIKELY SAFE when taken in amounts typically found in food. It is perhaps SAFE when taken in the bigger amounts found in medication.
- When inhaled: It is perhaps SAFE to breathe the vapor from cardamom essential oil as aromatherapy. Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Cardamom is potentially UNSAFE when taken by mouth as a medicine during pregnancy. There is concern that taking cardamom may cause a miscarriage. There isn’t adequate dependable info to know if cardamom is safe to utilize when breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and stay with food amounts.
- Gallstones: If you have gallstones, do not take cardamom in quantities greater than those generally found in food. The cardamom seed can activate gallstone colic (spasmodic discomfort). 
Supplement/Herb/Nutrient-drug interactions can be dangerous and, in uncommon cases, even lethal. Always consult your doctor before supplementing and let them learn about all drugs and supplements you are using or considering.
There were a couple of reports in which patients with high cardamom consumption excreted red blood cells through their urine (hematuria). Patients taking anticoagulant or antiplatelet medications must be especially mindful of their cardamom consumption.
Since cardamom can lower cholesterol considerably by itself, clients prescribed medication to lower their cholesterol ought to be careful about combining those therapies with cardamom. The same holds true for patients taking medication to lower high blood pressure. 
Though cardamom is a perennial crop, its development behaviour resembles more to a biennial crop in the sense that vegetative phase (tillers) emerging in one year becomes reproductive stage during the 2nd year and produce panicles, flowers and pills. Cardamom, being cultivated as an undergrowth with shade trees, competitors for inputs amongst them makes dietary management a crucial practice in understanding optimal yield of the crop. Escalation in expense of fertilizers makes necessary their usage in an effective and financial way. Although there exists higher demand for different spices produced through organic cultivation practices, the need for organic cardamom is not much at present. Nevertheless, production of cardamom through low input sustainable agriculture including integrated nutrition management system including use of numerous sort of organic manures and bio-fertilizers need to be targeted at in the present day context of preservation of natural ecosystem and environmental management.